Friday, June 10, 2016

Friday Five: Throwback Tunes!

Today being Friday, we are back to the Friday Five! And we're talking music, specifically the music of our yout'.  My tastes have changed somewhat since then, although recently I've gone back and rediscovered some of my favorites. 

Which musical artist from your teen years would you love to see in concert?
 The best really was Billy Joel--that I saw in concert, that is. The artist(s) that was (were) performing--well, there were several that were sort of overlapping--getting their start at the same time I was in high school/university:  kd lang, Prince, Melissa Etheridge, Indigo Girls, Sweet Honey in the Rock... Buffy Saint Marie for sure. And others that were already known that I wasn't able to see in concert--Bruce Springsteen, for example.

Which album was your favorite during high school?
Buffy Saint Marie's Fire and Fleet and Candlelight; played it to death. Although there were several of John Denver's that got a lot of play too.

If you could create a festival (like Woodstock, Lilith Fair or Lollapalooza) of your favorite bands from high school or college, which bands would you choose?
Ha--this would be quite interesting, a very eclectic mix. In no particular order: Prince, Bruce, kd lang, Beatles, Buffy Saint Marie, Melissa E., Billy Joel, Indigo Girls, and the Kinks.

What was the best concert you’ve attended in your life?
Billy Joel, his 42nd St tour (I think). He didn't have a warm-up act, he played for three solid hours plus a twenty-minute solo encore and we had great side balcony seats.

What song from your childhood, teen years or adulthood means more to you now (because of lyrics or the power of memory)?
This is proving difficult. I'm not sure there is one. Many of my favorite songs can take me back, remind me of people and places and events. I don't know that any of them have any more meaning now than they did then, though. But here's one that was played at practically every dance my senior year of high school, even though it is barely danceable...



No comments:

Clarence Darrow--Beyond Scopes and Leopold & Loeb

Personalities fascinate me--people do. One way I try to understand history and places is through people--which is why I love good histor...