Friday, February 17, 2006

Winter Olympics Friday Five

1) Which of the Winter Olympic sports is your favorite to watch?
Hmmmm. Probably the figure skating events--like dance but not quite. Also, I did learn to ice skate as a kid (one of my few athletic accomplishments), so I have some idea of the difficulty of what they are doing. And, before you ask, no, I did not wear one of those short floaty skirt things.

2) Do you speak Snowboardese?
Nope. I love the sound of it, though (there's something seductive about jargon, even if you don't have the slightest idea what it means).

3) Define Nordic Combined. Don't look it up. Take a guess if you must.
Um. I think it's a skiing event. I took one skiing class, and after they had to shut down the ski lift (the ponta lift) because I got stuck and couldn't get off, I never tried downhill again.

4) Curling. Please discuss.
OK, I must be becoming Canadian by osmosis, because I actually think it's kinda cool. There's as much thinking and strategy as there is athletic skill--a thinking person's hockey, maybe.

5) If you could be a Winter Olympics Champion just by wishing for it, which sport would you choose for winning your Gold Medal?
Ski jump. I'm terrified of heights, and this way I wouldn't have to actually go up that high and jump into thin air, with no parachute or net or even ski poles to catch me...ohhh, my palms are sweating just thinking about it. It's like a bad dream where you're falling off a building or something...
Ski jump. No need to actually jump. Gold medal. I'm sooo there.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sorry to bring on a nightmare! (It would be mine, too.)

Clarence Darrow--Beyond Scopes and Leopold & Loeb

Personalities fascinate me--people do. One way I try to understand history and places is through people--which is why I love good histor...