Friday, October 24, 2014

Friday Five--Sweet or Salty?

The RevGals Meme this Friday is abiout Halloween treats! Practicing for next week, Deb says.

So here we go.

From Pixabay Free Images

1. Sweet or salty, the gotta-have treat.
This is a tough one, actually. I love chocolate-peanut butter confections, so Snickers bars, Reese's, and ice cream containing these items are winners, as are DQ's Peanut Buster Parfaits. But then I like the nougatty stuff in 3Musketeers, and the cool bite of Junior Mints (best movie treat, hands down!). Cinnamony things are good too. And gummy bears! Oh, and candy corn!
That's the sweet side...
Salty? Chex mix. Absolutely. Although popcorn with Old Bay spice is quite tasty too. Until they make Chex mix with Old Bay. Then I am toast.
For the win, though, is a mix of salty and sweet--I love all the salted caramel stuff and a friend makes caramel and chocolate-dipped pretzel rods that are to die for. And of course Ben & Jerry's Chubby Hubby ice cream.

2. How do I stay strong with all that temptation (especially this time of year)?
I do my level best to bring none of it home. I will have it at church coffee hour, my weekly coffee date with a friend, and so on. But I know that if I bring any of that home, it will be gone--to my hips. I know because I recently tried bringing home a bag of chocolate chip cookies--they were gone in two days.

3. Have I cut or decreased the sugar in my diet? 
I have tried, and once was told to by a doctor (borderline gestational diabetes). It is very hard! There's a lot of sugar in products you wouldn't think of as having sugar in them, but there it is. I keep my sugar in my coffee/tea, and rarely add it to anything else (i.e., cereal). I am trying to reach for fruit when I crave something sweet. I have tried stevia, but the taste puts me off.

4. One sweet I will never give up, ever. 
 Chocolate, in one form or another--bars, sauce, in coffee, whatever. Got to have some chocolate every week.

5. If I were a candy bar, which would I be? 
Probably my favourite, Snickers. You've got the nougat, the caramel, the chocolate--and a little bit nutty!

Bonus: a recipe or tip that uses up leftover sweets at my house:
What leftover sweets?

3 comments:

Mary Beth said...

LOL, "what leftovers"?

Anonymous said...

I love to pop the Snickers into the freezer...especially those bite size ones.

~~Elaine

Deb said...

Chubby Hubby ice cream! OH MAN!!!! Someone brought us a mini-tub when I was postpartum with baby #2. My hubby never saw it! LOL!!!

Thanks for playing! :)

Clarence Darrow--Beyond Scopes and Leopold & Loeb

Personalities fascinate me--people do. One way I try to understand history and places is through people--which is why I love good histor...