Friday, May 05, 2006

Friday Five--Birthday Meme

1. Favorite birthday cake/ice cream/dessert
Well, my favourite is chocolate cake with chocolate icing, but a raspberry filling is nice. Another nice choice is a spice cake with mocha icing. The most interesting "cake" I ever had was blueberry crepes. Mom always asked what we wanted for a birthday cake, and this year I had recently had crepes, and blueberry was (and is) one of my favourite fruits. So she made me blueberry crepes--in April! In Michigan! Amazing.

2. Surprise Parties -- have you ever given or received one?
Both. I've given (or been part of organizing) several surprise parties for friends, co-workers, etc. I've had a surprise baby shower--oh, we're talking about birthdays. Yes, I had three that I can remember. One was for my 14th birthday; my cat had recently died, my parents had split up, I was in the dumps. My friends got together and had a surprise party for me, including motzah ball soup from a Jewish friend, funny poems on the cards, and those candles that won't blow out. Another was for my 40th--the group of friends I was with at the time had a tradition of surprise parties for the 40th birthday. The best was my 36th, though--I was going through a rough time in my life and my friend Like-a-Sister organized my friends from our circle, my work friends, my church friends and even some family to surprise me for my birthday. She called people she didn't even know to try to make me feel better. It was wonderful to have them all there and feel their support.

3. Favorite birthday present
Now there's a tough one. One year my then-husband gave me a camera, which I have used ever since. It was a wonderful gift. Another year it was diamond stud earrings. But as I have gotten older, the value or size of the gift has mattered less and less. TO gave me a painted tile one year for a mug coaster--he painted it blue, my favourite colour. You're right, I'm still using it! And then DP has given me lovely flowers, and a photo portrait...the first year we were together, it was a ring. A friend gave me a set of candle holders that were absolutely perfect. Once my sisters in law gave me a gift certificate to the big nursery in town, so I could stock up my garden for the summer. Other wonderful gifts have ranged from chocolates to mugs to books to movie theatre gift certificates to jewelry.

4. What do you think of those candles that won't blow out?
Way too frustrating. Thank goodnesss no one (recently) has tried them on me.

5. Best. birthday. ever.
I probably would say this every year, but this year was very special. TO was with us, I shared my vocation in a very special way (a wedding and a funeral the same day--on my birthday)--even the weather was beautiful! I honestly don't know what was missing that I would have added--nothing, I think. Big breakfast (my favourite meal), wedding (with a very sweet couple), incredible funeral (which may sound odd, but it was very affirming of the person's life, it was beautiful--and I don't think I had much to do with that, really; the Spirit moved), then a drive along the river in the lovely weather, and dinner at a friend's restaurant, followed by a great movie at home.

No comments:

Clarence Darrow--Beyond Scopes and Leopold & Loeb

Personalities fascinate me--people do. One way I try to understand history and places is through people--which is why I love good histor...