Friday, May 19, 2006

Summer Plans

I'm planning my continuing education for this year, and what I would like to do is a personal retreat. Mostly this is to work on a project I've been thinking about for a while, which DP has been encouraging me to do, but I haven't found the time to do. It's a (deep breath) book.

I've been thinking about spirituality and women, specifically lesbian and bisexual women, and the ways traditional feminist theology reads differently for women attracted to other women, not only Christian women, but women from other traditions as well. I think I have some things to say about it, and I'd like to get them out there. On the other hand, it may all be a bunch of nothing. So I want to at least try to write this, to put it together and see if I really have enough to say about it, or if I need to refocus or try another angle.

However, with life getting in the way, I haven't had a chance to do much. I've done a lot of reading, and that's been rewarding, but I'm getting to a point where I need to start putting together an outline, seeing where the gaps are, and figuring out how to fill them.

Thus my desire for this retreat. Ideally it would be a week long, in some isolated (but not too isolated) place, perhaps a cabin in the woods near a lake about twenty minutes from town. Alternatively, it could be in town, but in a place where the proprietors wouldn't be in my face all the time. Also nice would be the availability of canoeing and/or hiking. My dream retreat would include a meeting or two with someone who has been published, who has gone down this road of putting together a whole book before and can offer some guidance through the wilderness. My treasurer would like someplace not too expensive...which means B&B's are out. Oh, and somewhere within about four-five hours from Detroit would be perfect.

To sum up:
  • Privacy
  • Writing coach
  • Water (lake, river, pond)
  • Reasonable cost
  • Location
Now, here's where you come in! I need suggestions on finding such a place! I have a couple of leads, but I realized that I have a wonderful resource in RevGals.

Any and all ideas welcome...and many thanks!

No comments:

Clarence Darrow--Beyond Scopes and Leopold & Loeb

Personalities fascinate me--people do. One way I try to understand history and places is through people--which is why I love good histor...