Monday, May 22, 2006

Happy Victoria Day, Y'All!

Today is Victoria Day here in Canada, a statutory holiday--meaning everyone, pretty much, gets a day off.

It's the traditional start to the summer, when people put their boats in the water for the first time this year, and open cottages, and have BBQs and open their pools. It's the beginning of fireworks season, too--next weekend is Memorial Day, which we are at least aware of here, being so close to the border, and then there's the Queen's Birthday, which is not a statutory holiday, but a good excuse for fireworks nonetheless, and then JuneTeenth, which we remember because River City was a popular terminus of the Underground Railroad, and then Canada Day. That Thursday we have huge fireworks, with River City and The Large American City Across the River celebrating both Canada Day and July 4th with an enormous display over the river. I've seen the fireworks in Washington DC and in Boston, and they are both puny compared to what they put on here. Maybe it's the river...

I celebrated by moving my desk out of the teeny tiny room DP and I were trying to share as an office and into the spare bedroom. Now DP and I don't bump chairs every time one of us gets up (or sits down or moves or turns to answer the phone). Of course, we had to bring one of our friends from the Lil Yellow House (LYH) next door to help out (DP had hurt her hand and couldn't lift my large-and-heavy-but-not-massive desk). I took advantage of the moment to clear out a bunch of papers and magazines that had collected on my bookcase (also moved). I feel very virtuous now, and as if I have earned the right to go see a movie this afternoon.

We're going to see That Movie--TdVC (the one that misspells a famous artist's name). I'm in about six minds about the movie. I thought the book was poorly written, and badly edited (a dial tone on a cell phone, to name the least of the errors), and the ideas were nothing new, lawsuits notwithstanding. On the other hand, I'm very interested in feminist theology and the ways women have been edited out of history. On the third hand, I hate to support Dan Brown, On the fourth hand, I think I need to be able to talk about it intelligently (I know people will ask!). On the fifth hand, I like Ian McKellan and Tom Hanks and whatername, so I want to see them. On the sixth hand, I'm NOT up for watching self-flagellation. On the seventh hand, it's also a social outing with friends.

I'll report back afterwards.

1 comment:

Sue said...

I still haven't decided if I'm going to see it, or wait for the dvd release. I'll be interested to hear what you think of it.

Clarence Darrow--Beyond Scopes and Leopold & Loeb

Personalities fascinate me--people do. One way I try to understand history and places is through people--which is why I love good histor...